September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. This annual observance strives to bring attention to the growing numbers of overweight children, due to an increase in unhealthy foods and a decrease in exercise. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) has produced a number of resources on child health and obesity:
- The 2011 Early Childhood Obesity Prevention Report
- Childhood Obesity: How do the Health Behaviors of Colorado Parents Affect Their Children?
- How Healthy Are Colorado Children?
- Overweight, Physical Activity, and Nutrition Among Colorado Children and Youth
- The Weight of the State: 2009 Report on Overweight and Obesity in Colorado
- Work Effectively With Schools to Reduce Childhood Obesity
Additionally, the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) includes an Office of School Nutrition, which has published numerous resources for families, teachers, and school administrators. See the Resources page on their website for information.
For more publications, search our library’s online catalog.