Each year, Conflict Resolution Month in Colorado recommends a book for the community at large with the goal of spreading information and encouraging conversation on ways to manage conflicts of all types and in a variety of situations. This year’s title is a picture book appealing to all ages.
In this year’s selection the protagonist, Taylor, experiences a disappointing event. Readers are invited to process through the experience with Taylor as a variety of animal companions attempt to help make the situation better.
Conflict is a natural part of daily life and can include disappointment, grief, and loss. Through conflict we have the opportunity to grow personally as well as through our relationships. In this book, Taylor experiences loss and a parade of well-meaning characters try to soothe Taylor with mixed results. It is the simplest approach that allows Taylor to heal.
Would you like to start the conversation with your community and host a book club event for The Rabbit Listened? We would love to help. The Colorado State Library has partnered with the CAL Reader’s Advisory Interest Group to create Book Club Resource book bag sets of this title for libraries to use themselves or offer to their patrons. There are five sets available of eight copies each, and each bag also includes a reader’s guide to help get the conversation started. Book bags are loaned for two months at a time.
To borrow a book bag, you will need to be enrolled in the CSL Book Club Resource (BCR) Program. If you already have a CSL Book Club Resource user number and password, skip to step 4 below.
- Go to https://dev.coloradovirtuallibrary.org/resource-sharing/co-book-clubs/book-club-enrollment-form/
- Complete and submit the enrollment form.
- You will receive an email with a user number and password for your library within a short time.
- Go to our online resource catalog at https://csl.catalog.aspencat.info/
- Login into your CSL account using the “Login” button at the top right of the screen.
- Use the Search bar, or browse for “Rabbit Listened”, to find the book bag.
- Place a Hold on the book bag.
- The checkout period is 2 months. If the title is available, it will be sent to you the next business day via the Statewide Courier. If all copies are checked out to another library, your hold will remain in place until a bag becomes available or you cancel the hold.
We encourage you to explore the simple yet profound wisdom of The Rabbit Listened. The message is relatable, the illustrations delightful, and the experience and resulting discussion – rewarding. For more information about this rewarding opportunity, or to learn more about getting started with the CSL Book Club Resource, contact Mike Peever at email@example.com.