April is a great month to be a librarian!
For starters, the entire month is School Library Month in honor of the contributions of our nation’s teacher librarians. The public librarians also had a chance to celebrate at the PLA conference, which just wrapped up in Denver on April 9.
This year’s National Library Week theme is “Libraries Transform”, a celebration of the ways that libraries are evolving to meet the changing needs of their communities. You can see National Library Week festivities from around the country on Twitter by following the hashtags #NLW16 and #LibrariesTransform.
Colorado Celebrates National Library Week
Special events are happening all over Colorado during National Library Week.
One Book 4 Colorado launched on April 11. Watch Lt. Gov. Garcia announce the winning title.
All Colorado 4-year-olds can pick up the book now through April 25 at any public or military library, or Denver Preschool Program classroom.
Colorado State Library released the redesigned Create site. This site makes it easy to access training and continuing education for makerspaces, technology, library customer service, and library 101.
Colorado libraries launched the CO Play & Learn app, which features early literacy tips and simple activities to build pre-reading skills in young children. You can download the app for free from the Google Play Store or the iTunes App Store.
Vail Public Library is offering a week of life skills events:
- Monday, April 11, 3:30-4:30, Healthy Habits for Kids – Juicing with Green Elephant
- Tuesday, April 12, 2:00-3:00, Job Seeking and Interviewing Skills with Workforce Center; 3:00-4:00, Getting Hired – tips, tricks & strategies
- Wednesday, April 13, 3:00-5:00, Getting Hired – tips, tricks & strategies
- Thursday, April 14, 1:00 -2:00, Common Cents for Colorado: Eating well on $6 a day
At Summit County Libraries, Denver Zoo’s “Wild Wonders” is bringing animal friends for storytime.
- Monday, April 11, 10:30am Main Branch in Frisco
- Monday, April 11, 12:30pm North Branch in Silverthorne
- Tuesday, April 12, 11:00am South Branch in Breckenridge
Poudre River Public Library District is offering several exciting events this week, including:
- Monday, April 11, 7:00-9:00pm, Author visit with Paolo Bacigalupi
- Tuesday, April 12, 7:00-8:00pm, International Night Portrait of Cuba: A Photographic Journey
If you’d like to share something fun that your library is doing to celebrate National Library Week, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this super short form. We’d love to feature it on an upcoming Spotlight on Sharing blog post.