The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from the Colorado State Library.
You may have heard that Colorado is looking for a new State Librarian and you heard right. The Search is On! If you are a forward thinking leader and change agent with a strong vision for Colorado’s libraries it could be you!
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Teens are invited to join Arapahoe Libraries virtually on June 30 from 4:30-5:30 pm for Making Worlds: Creating Movie Props, Costumes and More with Karen Sutton. Sutton has spent the last decade working in video games, film, and publishing. Her experience led her to work for one of the world’s leading special effects workshops in the film industry, where she got a first-hand look at how costumes, props, and make-up are designed and crafted for blockbuster films. Join Karah as she shares her experiences, with tips and tricks for those who wish to pursue a career in this exciting industry!
Mesa County Libraries’ 970West Studio hosts Intro to Digital Photography on July 6 from 10:00-11:30 am. In this hands-on course learn the fundamentals of digital photography using Canon DSLR cameras. Discover and practice photography concepts that will guide you to take high-quality, professional images.
Meet artist and educator Jayson Fann for an interactive Spirit Nest Workshop exploring the intersection of art and nature at Anythink Wright Farms on June 28 at 10:30 pm. Learn more about Fann’s artistic process as you gain a deeper understanding of what it means to use natural materials to create art. This workshop is appropriate for all ages, and families are encouraged to participate. This program will be held outside adjacent to Fann’s large-scale spirit nest sculpture on display at Anythink Wright Farms. Free and open to all. No advanced registration necessary.
EDI in Library Land
EQUITY, DIVERSITY, SOCIAL JUSTICE, AND INCLUSION (EDSJI) CONFERENCE 2021 | July 16 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm MT
Colorado Association of Libraries (CAL) is hosting their second annual Equity, Diversity, Social Justice, & Inclusion (EDSJI) 2021 conference virtually. This all-day online conference brings together the topics of Equity, Diversity, Social Justice, and Inclusion for a day of thought-provoking learning around these topics.
People of Color in Library and Information Science (POC in LIS) Summit | July 23 From 10:00 am – 2:15 pm MT
The mission of POC in LIS Summit is to create a productive and brave space for people of color, especially women and marginalized identities, working in the information sector. Information workers will have the opportunity to explore their work in LIS as POC and their intersecting identities as POC+ and information workers. This summit invites participants to challenge and interrogate their roles and actions as information workers. This summit aims to collectively establish rules of engagement and discourse, acknowledging that dominant narratives may be disrupted. This space is created to support the research of POC librarians and create a network of POC information workers for future collaboration and self-care.
More to Explore
Explore some of the animals that make their home in the forest around Summit County Library on June 28! Our Big Backyard with Friends of the Dillon Ranger District will examine animal furs, tracks, and scats, while learning about some cool adaptations that animals use to survive our harsh high alpine winters. This program provides a fun hands-on learning experience for all ages!
The Denver Art Museum and Denver Public Library invites children from birth to 5 to Virtual Little University: Exploring Art with The Denver Art Museum on June 26 at 10:30 am. Explore the elements of art, while being silly, moving your body, and having fun. You can register and guarantee a spot for this event, or check back here the day of the program for the Zoom link!
Join Poudre River Public Library District on June 29 from 10:00-11:00 am for The Arts and The Great Outdoors for Teens. Explore Fort Collins Natural Areas with a guided hike, and then let your creativity flow with a mini workshop on drumming and dance, led by Nancy Brauhn-Curnes and Alison Cope.
Boost your career on July 14 from 9:00-11:30 am with Jefferson County Public Library’s Resume Concepts: How to Get an Interview, an engaging, facilitator-led workshops. Walk away with tips and techniques to find your next best opportunity. Co-presented by the Jefferson County Business & Workforce Center and Jefferson County Public Library.
Larimer County Economic and Workforce Development is excited to bring job help appointments back to Loveland Public Library with In-Person Office Hours on June 28 from 2:00-4:00 pm! Job seekers can receive assistance applying for jobs, learning about where to find job opportunities, creating a resume, interviewing tips, and more. Walk-ins welcome, though appointments are preferred by calling (970) 498-6600.
FCC Emergency Connectivity Fund
The Emergency Connectivity Fund is a $7.17 Billion program that will help schools and libraries provide the tools and services their communities need for remote learning during the COVID-19 emergency period. From June 29, 2021 to August 13, 2021, eligible schools and libraries can apply for financial support to purchase connected devices like laptops and tablets, Wi-Fi hotspots, modems, routers, and broadband connectivity to serve the unmet needs for off-campus use by students, school staff, and library patrons during the COVID-19 emergency period. During this application filing window, eligible schools and libraries, in addition to consortia of schools and libraries, can submit requests for funding to purchase eligible equipment and services between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022.
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
Growing Readers Together: Quick Bites Webinar Series Returns this Summer
Growing Readers Together returns with a fresh series of GRT Quick Bites this Summer!
FREE Online Training Opportunities for Library Staff – June 2021
There’s still time to check out these free online training opportunities for June!
State Publications Library
Colorado Virtual Library
Important Tips and Tricks for Correcting CHNC Text
CHNC Text Correcting Number 1 FAQ: “Should I correct all the text of a given paragraph by typing the text into one line of the text correcting interface? Find the answer to that and all your other text correcting FAQs.
Why EDI Jargon Can Be Counterproductive
Where buzzwords and uncivil behavior proliferate, let us focus instead on concrete issues and build a truly inclusive language.
Are you thinking of making a change this year in your job? Check out Library Jobline for hot new library employment opportunities.
- Colorado State Librarian / Assistant Commissioner: Colorado Department of Education: Colorado State Library / Denver, CO
- University Archivist and Aztlán Center Director (Visiting Assistant or Associate Professor): Colorado State University – Pueblo / Pueblo, CO
- Library Assistant: Mesa County Libraries / Grand Junction, CO
- Adult Services Assistant: Clearview Library District / Windsor, CO
- Collection Development Librarian – Adult Materials: Jefferson County Public Library / Wheat Ridge, CO
- Technical Support Technician: Jefferson County Public Library / Lakewood, CO
- Library Security Clerk: City of Aurora, Library & Cultural Services (Iliff Square Library) / Aurora, CO
- Volunteer Coordinator: Garfield County Libraries / Rifle, CO
- Librarian K-8: The Logan School for Creative Learning / Denver, CO
- Library Manager 2: Pikes Peak Library District / Manitou Springs, CO
- Education and Development Coordinator: Garfield County Libraries / Rifle, CO
- Library Instruction Assistant: Red Rocks Community College / Lakewood, CO
- Library Services Coordinator – Branch Manager: City of Westminster / Westminster, CO
- Technical Services Guru: Northern Saguache County Library District / Saguache County, CO
- Library Aide II: City of Aurora, Library and Cultural Services / Aurora, CO
- Adult Program Coordinator: John C. Fremont Library District / Florence, CO
- Library Director: Spanish Peaks Library District / Walsenburg, CO
- Outreach Librarian: High Plains Library District / Greeley, CO
- Full-time Teen Guide – Anythink Wright Farms: Anythink Libraries / Brighton, CO
- Part-time 25 hour Concierge – Anythink York Street (Spanish speaking candidates preferred): Anythink Libraries / Denver, CO
- Library and Museum Assistant I – Circulation: City of Fort Morgan / Fort Morgan, CO
- Library Page at Carbondale: Garfield County Libraries / Carbondale, CO
- Library Associate: High Plains Library District / Evans, CO
- Digital Communications Assistant: Poudre River Public Library District / Fort Collins, CO
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Marisa Wood, firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to follow Colorado State Library on Twitter and Facebook.