The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from the Colorado State Library.
Let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Denver Public Library‘s Wheelie the Book Bike recently made an appearance at Denver Botanic Garden’s Blossoms of Light, an annual holiday event that turns the gardens into a twinkling fairyland. Not to be outdone, DPL staffers set up Wheelie with its own personal light show, much to the delight of visitors.
Wheelie also has been spotted at the Denver Parade of Lights and showings of Corduroy at the Denver Center for Performing Arts. Wheelie is just one of several services available through DPL’s Library at Your Event initiative.
Aparaphoe Library District :
- Critter Companions: Winter Edition. See what great costumes and holiday get-ups the Arapahoe best friends don this season.
- Castlewood Holiday Open House: Sunday, Dec. 16, 2 – 4 pm ‘Tis the season to celebrate! Drop by for crafts for kids, Makerspace tours, and cookies for all! Sing along with the What the Dickens? Carolers! from 2:30-3:30 pm.
- Cookies in a Jar: Monday, Dec. 17, 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Give the gift of baking this year with a Mason Jar filled with Santa Cookie Mix.
- Handmade Gifts: Tuesday, Dec. 18, 4 – 5 pm. Make a couple of cool gifts for your friends or family. Before you leave, you can wrap them up so your secret remains safe until holiday time.
- Carolers and Cookies: Tuesday, Dec. 18, 6 – 7 pm ; Thursday Dec. 20, 5 – 6 pm; Friday Dec. 21 1:30 – 2:30 pm. Ring in the holidays with the talented “What the Dickens? Carolers!” who have become a beloved tradition! You’ll be “Fa la-la la-la-ing” along to your favorite tunes. All ages welcome.
Grant/ Assistance Funding Opportunities:
SIPA Micro Grants: Do you have project that puts more information or services online for your constituents? Are you a local government with a big or innovative public-facing project? Let SIPA’s Micro-Grant help! Apply for a Micro-Grant Micro-Grant FAQs
RIPL: Five travel stipends for the Utah RIPL Regional in Salt Lake City, March 6-7, 2019, are available to staff working in small and rural public libraries in the United States. For more information and to apply, please see https://www.lrs.org/travel-stipend-opportunity-for-utah-ripl-regional/.
The Kerr Foundation: Funds for Youth Programs in Oklahoma and Surrounding States, Offers grants to organizations that provide new or enhanced opportunities, particularly for youth. Grants generally range from $1,000 to $50,000. Learn more here.
Learning for Everyone
- “My Boss Is a ####”: LLAMA Practical and Applied Management Committee will be hosting a lively discussion on the topic of coping, managing, strategizing, and succeeding when you do not see eye-to-eye with your boss on Thursday, December 20, 2-3pm EST. No advanced registration required. https://umassboston.zoom.us/j/496421941
- CLiC Spring Workshops: Brings in-person continuing education to your part of the state. The dates and locations for 2019 are:
Grand Junction: March 21 & 22 @ Colorado Mesa University.
Fort Morgan: March 29 @ Fort Morgan High School
Pueblo: April 15 & 16 @ CSU-Pueblo
- Colorado Regional Digital Learning Symposium. The event is FREE and will be held on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at the CSU Fort Collins campus. Learn more here.
Libraries Making News
Bemis Public Library:
- Littleton Independent – Novel Writing Month Lights Fire Under Authors
- Littleton Independent – Library to Boost Offerings Through Statewide Network
CLiC: Colorado Independent – A ‘modern-day book-burning crusade’ alleged in Colorado
Colorado State Library: Colorado Springs Gazette – Penguin astronauts and artists, and pugs: One Book Colorado voting underway
Denver Public Library: The Patch – No More Fines At Denver Public Library
Grand County Library District: SKY-HI News – Library Corner: Gaming center
Mesa County Public Library: KKCO 11 News – Mesa County Libraries sticking with late fees
Pikes Peak Library District:
- Colorado Springs Gazette – Bookmobile takes library around the Pikes Peak region
- Colorado Springs Gazette – LETTERS: Library no longer a library; Grinch has stolen Christmas
- Colorado Springs Gazette – LETTERS: The greatest job in Colorado Springs comes with major concern; hoping for a solution to library takeover
- KOAA News 5 – New approach to helping homeless library visitors
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
Statewide Collaborative Programming Coordinator: The Statewide Collaborative Programming Coordinator is a full time position within the Colorado State Library. The position is open to experienced information professionals with strong project management, technical and facilitation skills. If interested – read more.
Colorado Virtual Library Blog:
Colorado State Publications Blog:
The Colorado State Publications Blog is now at coloradovirtuallibrary.org! Check out these recent posts:
DP Library staff shows off their ugly sweater prowess at the Durango City Ugly Sweater Celebration. Well played team Durango PL!
Have a great weekend everyone!
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Regan Harper, firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, be sure to follow Colorado State Library on Twitter and Facebook.