The Friday Grab Bag is a weekly series that highlights fun, unique, and interesting happenings in Colorado libraries, and includes news from the Colorado State Library.
Just a quick note to share that the grab bag is taking a brief hiatus and will return on September 10. In the meantime, please help us improve the Friday Grab Bag by taking a short survey. Your response is anonymous. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Now, let’s open the Friday Grab Bag!
Join Bud Werner Memorial Library on September 21 from 5:30-6:30 pm for a special Library Book Discussion of Colson Whitehead’s The Underground Railroad, presented in tandem with the Lifeline Quartet’s performance of “Songs of the Underground Railroad” at Strings Music Festival on October 15 at 7:00 pm.
Deepening human connection to nature is a fundamental part of combatting the climate crisis. In addition, self-care becomes increasingly important as more people face climate anxiety. Join Boulder Public Library on Flagstaff Mountain at 4:00 pm on September 1 for Forest Bathing with OSMP to both deepen connection and de-stress. Slow down and immerse yourself in nature through the Japanese practice of shinrin-yoku, or forest bathing. This mindful wander, in partnership with Open Space & Mountain Parks, is designed to open up the senses to connect with nature in a deeper way. Ages 12 +.
Join Denver Public Library and best-selling author Peter Heller for a free in-person event as he discusses his new novel, The Guide on September 3 from 4:00-5:00 pm. The Guide is a heart-racing thriller about a young man who is hired by an elite fishing lodge in Colorado, where he uncovers a plot of shocking menace amid the natural beauty of sun-drenched streams and forests. Signed books will be available for sale from BookBar. Registration is required.
Poudre River Public Library District invites all ages to gather in Library Park for a celebration of community and life through rhythm and music on September 1 at 5:30 pm. Community Drum Circle participants are encouraged to bring a drum(s) and/or percussion instrument(s). Drums and rhythm instruments will be available to share. Drum circle led by Fale drummer, Chuck Hancock. Event will take place weather permitting.
Join Pikes Peak Library District on September 2 at 7:00 pm for the Virtual Fantasy Football League Draft. Information on the draft and league rules, weekly and season prizes, etc. can be obtained by emailing Joe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Weekly high-score prizes (value $7.99) and the second-place season prize ($30 dinner for two) provided by Texas Roadhouse.
Unwind after school with fun improvisation After School Theater Games with Anythink Bennet on Wednesdays in September from 4:15-5:15 pm. Prepare to be silly and imaginative with your friends as you work together as a group to be creative storytellers. Appropriate for ages 7 to 14. Please note that this program may be moved indoors due to inclement weather.
Learning for All
Explore the World with Virtual Field Trips (edWeb) | August 31 @ 2:00-3:00 pm
Focused on an array of diverse topics, virtual field trips connect learning to the real world through relevant and timely digital content that supports learning wherever it takes place. Discovery Education, the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, offers a portfolio of new and on-demand virtual field trips to engage students.
Social Media 101 for Nonprofits (Firespring) | August 31 @ 2:30-3:30 pm
This session includes practical tips and tools for extending your cause and mission via social media. We cover the basics of using social media for your nonprofit organization and give you handy tips for the “big 3:” Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. You may be surprised to learn that Facebook is less important than you’ve been told and LinkedIn may be more important.
Museums & Libraries in the News
‘Light Affects: Encaustic Colorado’ brings hot art form to Loveland Museum | The Daily Camera
Encaustic painting — the method of heating wax to create layered and captivating works of art — dates back as far as the fifth century B.C. The new exhibit at the Loveland Museum, featuring four Colorado-based creatives, runs through Sept. 25.
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center announces new director of visual arts and museum | Fox 21 News
Michael Christiano will be the new director of visual arts and museum at Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center at Colorado College effective Monday, Sept. 27.
Back to School
Add ‘library card’ to your back-to-school list | Library Limelight | The Gazette
Regardless of what back-to-school looks like for you, add “library card” to your to-do list if you don’t have one already, and take advantage of all the resources provided by Pikes Peak Library District.
Library Corner: We have the kits, titles and tech to ease you back into school | Sky-Hi News
Grand County Library District is here for parents, guardians, teachers, and students to make learning as smooth-sailing as possible.
Tales from the Tread: Heritage education in the schools | Steamboat Pilot
The Tread of Pioneers Museum staff is eagerly awaiting the beginning of a new school year full of museum tours and programs for Routt County students including Discovery kits, Story-time, behind the scenes tours, and much more.
What’s New at the Colorado State Library
Colorado Virtual Library
Diversity and Diversity Audits
CSL’s EDIT team discusses how libraries can ensure they are meeting community needs of increasingly diverse populations with Diversity Audits.
State Grants to Libraries Informational Webinar
Join us on August 31 at 12:00 pm for an Overview and Q&A Webinar for State Grants to Libraries!
State Publications Library
- September 1 @ 1:00 pm
- Free, no registration required
- Join online
Upcoming Outreach Librarianship Series
We are delighted to partner with staff from the High Plains Library District on eight sessions dedicated to Outreach Librarianship. This amazing series will run on consecutive Tuesdays in September and October from 12:00-1:00 pm.
Are you thinking of making a change this year in your job?
Southwest La Plata Library District is in search of a new director that is passionate about providing exceptional service to the community. If this sounds like you, visit https://swlplibrarydistrict.org/southwest-la-plata-library-district/jobs/ and apply by September 4, 2021.
Check out Library Jobline for more new library employment opportunities.
- Librarian I, Children’s: Early Literacy Librarian: City of Loveland / Loveland, CO
- Library Supervisor: Pikes Peak Library District / Colorado Springs
- Collections Assessment and Interlibrary Loan Specialist: Auraria Library / Denver, CO
- Assistant Manager, Teens: City of Loveland / Loveland, CO
- Library Associate: City of Englewood / Englewood, CO
- Library Manager 2: Pikes Peak Library District / Monument, CO
- Children’s and Teens’ Library Technician: Longmont Public Library / Longmont, CO
- Education and Outreach Student Assistant: Auraria Library, University of Colorado Denver / Denver, CO
- Senior Librarian – Family and Children’s Services – Early Literacy: Pikes Peak Library District / Colorado Springs, CO
- Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian: Colorado College, Tutt Library / Colorado Springs, CO
- Teen Services Librarian: Eaton Public Library / Eaton, CO
- Librarian/Assistant Branch Manager – Giodone Branch: Pueblo City-County Library District / Pueblo, CO
- Branch Supervisor: City of Aurora, Library & Cultural Services / Aurora, CO
- Youth Services Coordinator – Carbondale, CO: Garfield County Libraries / Carbondale, CO
- Librarian II, Adult Information Services: Poudre River Public Library District / Fort Collins, CO
- Bibliographic Services Clerk: High Plains Library District / Greeley, CO
- Library Associate at Silt: Garfield County Libraries / Silt, CO
- Administrative Specialist: Douglas county Libraries / Castle Rock, CO
- Library Technician I – Part Time: City of Louisville / Louisville, CO
- Full-time Youth Services Guide – Anythink Commerce City (Spanish speaking highly preferred): Anythink Libraries / Commerce City, CO
- Library Page at Glenwood: Garfield County Libraries / Glenwood Springs, CO
- Branch Manager: Garfield County Libraries / Rifle, CO
- Library Associate at Glenwood Springs: Garfield County Libraries / Glenwood Springs, CO
- Library Associate at Carbondale: Garfield County Libraries / Carbondale, CO
- Hampden Center Project Technician I: University of Denver / Denver, CO
This post is part of the Spotlight on Sharing initiative, which aims to increase the visibility of resource sharing in Colorado libraries. Do you have a story from your library to share? Email Marisa Wood, email@example.com. Also, be sure to follow Colorado State Library on Twitter and Facebook.